Thursday, March 18, 2010

A girl's gotta eat

There’s no magic concussion pill that relieves symptoms. Plus, each brain heals differently, so it’s a bit of a trial and error adventure when it comes to treatment. There is rarely a moment I don’t have a headache, but I have found ways to relieve it: hydration, healthy eats, and sleep.

I noticed that when I eat certain foods my brain gets cloudy. It’s like walking through fog. I can still put together sentences and handle the day, but everything is a little fuzzy and confusing.

After observing the influence food has on my symptoms, my doctor and I discussed a few eating guidelines. None of these are revolutionary. Most of them are common sense. Basically it boils down to “give your body good fuel so your brain can heal.” Here are a few things I’m avoiding:

1. Heavily processed foods
2. White sugar and flour
3. Sucralose, aspartame, and high-fructose corn syrup
4. Alcohol
5. Caffeine

Like I said, it’s not rocket science but cutting these out (or at least cutting them down) has made a huge difference. I’m giving my brain what it needs to recover and I’m not experiencing the fogginess as often.

But here’s the kicker, it’s not just my brain that feels better. It’s my entire body! I have more energy. I rarely have an upset stomach. I’m more satisfied after I eat. Plus, I don’t get the raging cravings I used to. Don’t get me wrong, my sweet tooth is still thriving, but it’s not the same all-encompassing eat-an-entire-cake craving it used to be.

I’m going to take this couch time as an opportunity to learn more about what my body needs. With any luck, I can heal my brain and learn to properly care for my body at the same time.

SOTS wonders… how did you learn about nutrition? Any book recommendations?
Bella

3 comments:

  1. I learned over time by reading magazines, books, and honestly - watching nutrition experts on television!!

    It sounds like you are on the right track. I try hard to balance my diet with a wide variety of foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that your figuring out what works for your body!

    I learned a lot about nutrition from university, but also through blogs and some books. I loved The China Study. I'm reading In Defense of Food right now and I love it.

    Thank you for the support on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Diane and Michelle!

    Diane - I'll admit, I'm hooked on Dr. Oz and I try to watch Oprah when she has Michael Pollan as a guest.

    Michelle - I just finished Defence of Food. It was a great read. Pollan's rules are so easy to remember. Plus, I like his style of writing. I'll definitely grab The China Study. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete