Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Food for thought: week two update

Okay, I’m done week two and well into week three of my elimination diet. I’ve said so long farewell (at least for now) to soy, gluten, dairy, sugar, and heavily processed food.

During the first week, I went through a detox phase where I was lethargic and every muscle in my body ached. Week two was a different story. I’ve had more energy and don’t suffer from the food highs and lows I used to.

I’m yet to have a serious craving for any of the eliminated foods. I’m actually shocked I haven’t had an insane sugar craving given that my sweet tooth is out of control. Dried fruit has been my go to when I need a little something sweet.

I continue to be more aware of my physical hunger. Also, I can feel how hunger affects my body. I can’t wait until my stomach is growling: by then I’m a cranky individual. I need to eat when I first feel the hunger rumbles.

My favourite thing about the elimination diet? No food guilt! I don’t think I realized how much time I wasted worrying about what I was going to eat, when I was going to eat it, and what it was doing to my body. I’ve been feeling guilty about food for years. And I’m not just talking about guilt when I’m half way through a Deep ‘n’ Delicious cake. I’d also feel guilty about eating too much, not eating enough, and what I was choosing to eating. I managed to feel guilty for everything about food. Talk about a waste of time. But I’m letting go of my food guilt. I eat good food until I’m satisfied… and I don’t feel bad about it. It’s liberating!

SOTS wonders… do you have food guilt?
Bella

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say hello! We met on Saturday at the health blogger get together at Fresh (or, at least I think we did - I hope I have the right person). I was the one who was so rudely late.

    I've been to this blog before but now I'll be a regular, your writing style is great! Good luck on your recovery!

    ReplyDelete