Saturday, January 23, 2010

Overheard on the streetcar

I was riding the streetcar today (no, not in my stilettos. I was rocking some sneakers on the way to the gym) and I overheard a very disturbing statement.

“I’m not eating today ‘cause I’m feeling heavy.”

I’ll admit, I rubber-necked around to see who would utter these words. I was horrified to see that I was looking at a teenage boy. No, your eyes didn’t deceive you – it was a teenage boy. The kind who should be scarfing down hot dogs, potato chips, pizza, ice cream and any number of other guilty pleasures in quantities that would turn most people’s stomach. I was forced to face a pre-conceived notion that teenage boys eat whatever they want. Turns out, not all of them do.

Beyond the surprise of who said this, I was bothered by the sentiment itself. Although I haven’t shared this with you yet (both of you. Yup, I now have two subscribers…yay!), I’m in the middle of a diet overhaul. I’ve changed what I eat in order to speed up my recovery process and maintain a healthy body weight. I will confess that there was a time I’d skip meals in an effort to lose weight, but that ship has sailed. Skipping meals only made me gain weight. A missed meal led to indulgences and guilt-eating. Now, I don’t EVER skip meals. I enjoy every one of them.

SOTS wonders… do you skip meals when you feel heavy?
Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment