Monday, April 19, 2010

Wanted: Role Model

I have a friend… whoa, I must be channeling Jen. This friend is one of the healthiest people I know. He eats well, exercises, has a good life/work balance, and indulges in occasional treats. A few months ago, I mentioned I wanted to adopt a healthier lifestyle and he offered two pieces of advice. They’ve really helped me, so I’m going to share them with you.

1. Do one active thing at the start of each day that doesn’t count as a workout. This activity can be anything you’d like: push-ups; jumping jacks; or a walk. I like this because it keeps you active even on your rest days and it starts the day off right. His morning activity sounded like so much fun that I stole it. Each morning, I crank up my favourite tunes and dance around the apartment for 15 minutes. Talk about a great way to start the day!

2. Choose a healthy living role model. Someone who embodies the health ideals you’re aiming for. Someone who inspires you. Someone you can emulate on your tough days. His role model is Madonna, because she’s hella in shape and has been for years. I don’t have one healthy living role model: I have a couple. First of all, I like Kate Winslet because she curvy, healthy, and hasn’t given in to Hollywood pressures to be size 0. I also like Ellen Degeneres’ take on fitness and healthy living (check out her SHAPE cover this month). Jess inspires me through her blog and every week at my WW meeting. Angela’s moving journey and thoughtful posts get me thinking about my food/life choices and challenge me to face my eating demons. Those are just a few of the people currently inspiring me.

There you have it. I hope my friend’s wise words are as helpful for you as they’ve been for me.

SOTS wonders… who’s your role model?
Bella

3 comments:

  1. My fellow bloggers have become my role models, because they are very inspiring, and they are going through a lot of the same issues as I am and they are successful!

    Great tips from your friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great advice from him! I know this sounds strange, but when I see an older woman (or man) who has remained fit and active throughout their aging years they inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both pieces of advice! Especially the first one, dancing is the best way to start a morning, I agree!

    ReplyDelete